16 July 2010

Longyearbyen, again

I installed the new system at Ny-Alesund and I was worried about the noise. Yesterday, I was in a rush to finish covering the system with dirt, get the new junction box in place, and figure out what was causing the noise in one of the axes. I was freaking out a little bit because that morning I had noise in both of my axes!


It appears the magnetosphere was active and I was interpreting an event for noise.




The left plot is from Longyearbyen and the right is Ny-Alesund. You can see on the Longyearbyen plot how "noisy" the magnetosphere was being during all the times I was trying to test my system. The two stations picked up the same event around 12:00UT. There is no y-axis reading on the Ny-Alesund plot because we are currently reading that coil in through the z-axis and will need to do some software changes.


So it was not a loss! Hurrah! I really enjoyed being in Ny-Alesund. I was surrounded by scientists for days. Granted most of them were biologists, but I can forgive them. The people at the Norwegian Polar Institute, where my instrument was located, were very helpful. It would not have been half as successful without their assistance. Thank you!

The 30 minute flight to and from Ny-Alesund is the most beautiful I have ever seen. It is too bad that I did not have my camera on me when we flew up, but I was sure to have it on the way back.


The 14 passenger prop plane was surprisingly free of turbulence except for bumby landings.


The view out my window:


was different than the one on the other side. There was much less snow and the rocks were a different color.


Snow! Everywhere! It looks deep!


I even made a short video. I didn't take the out the sound of the prop plane, so I would recommend muting the video or your speakers before viewing. This does not show a tenth of the beautiful land flown over.




I am now in Longyearbyen until Monday when I take off for five days to Isfjord Radio. Hmm, what to do here for three days? I'm going to see the art museum up by my room later today and maybe the airship museum as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment